Exercise is good for the brain
During their adult life, persons with ADHD disorders often struggle with a lack of concentration, slower thinking, forgetfulness, distraction, impulsiveness. These features tend to be devastating for both relationships with their loved ones and for their professional careers. Furthermore, all are linked to the most important organ of the human body – the brain.
Physical exercise can help oxygenate the brain, initiate the process of release of dopamine and endorphins, relieve and improve mood as well as decrease tension. Thus, sport has a similar effect on the brain as medication. This is why adults with ADHD should not refrain from sport but on the contrary – physical activity should complement the treatment of their disorder.
What does exercise give to persons with ADHD?
With physical exercise:
- you reduce the level of stress,
- you reduce compulsive reactions,
- you improve your working memory,
- you improve your executive skills essential for planning, organizing and remembering details
- you increase the level of BDNF – protein secreted by neurons, necessary during learning and memory processes.
Besides physical activity:
- helps maintain an athletic figure and optimal body weight,
- prevents obesity, diabetes, heart diseases and cancer.
- lowers blood pressure and cholesterol level.
- improves mood,
- gives you energy for the rest of the day.
How not to lose your motivation for exercise?
Despite the excellent effects brought on by exercise, many people become discouraged after the very first days of training. How to make sure that the exercises do not make you bored while each subsequent day of training becomes even more enjoyable?
- at the beginning of your adventure with exercise you should not push yourself to the limit (approximately half an hour of not too heavy exercise a day is enough),
- more exhaustive sports, such as running or spinning, can be done in shorter intervals of time, e.g. 3 times a week for 25 minutes,
- persons who get bored quickly can change the type of exercise or sport, for example – intersperse running with swimming or aerobics,
- if some exercises arouse resentment, one should not force them,
- it is good to find a second person or a support group that would motivate each other to exercise.
Doing something athletic you can observe on a day-to-day basis how it allows you to maintain good health, get away from everyday problems and stress as well as get rid of anger and aggression. You can monitor how your concentration improves along with the ability to think fast and easily match things. In this simple way you will ensure that your weaknesses will not take control over your life.